High School Conference
Friday, March 8, 2019
John Carroll University
Dolan Science Center – 1 John Carroll Blvd, University Heights, OH 44118
The Spring High School Conference brings together groups of students from schools all over Northeast Ohio. Schools are invited to bring up to 8 students and 2 educators. Once present students are separated into groups that offer them the opportunity to interact with students from other backgrounds, regions, and schools to participate in a series of small workshops on diversity. Additionally educators are also provided with diversity training and education in our special educator workshops that can be used in their schools and communities.
2018-2019 Theme: “From the Inside, Out: Body Image to Gender Identity”
This year, we will explore the topic of body image, students will define who they are and what makes us all unique. Social development at this age can draw students to desire connections with those around them and to the world in which they live. At the same time, students are reflecting on their identity and how society defines the skin they are in. Through a number of activities, students will identify the influence of the media and societal norms on their views of self in the 21st Century. Topics on body image, sexuality, gender identity and ability all focus on self-identification and invite conversations that address expectations, bullying and social isolation.
Throughout the year educators will get to take a deeper look into or think critically about physical and mental well-being in their students.
- Examine the concepts of beauty and body image, specifically pertaining to the influence of the media
- Engage in open conversations on how to combat negative internal feelings surrounding body image influenced by the media
- Celebrate gender, body positivity and an appreciation for diversity in all sizes, shapes and presentations
- Define ableism and identify ways in which they can begin to value all abilities
- Describe ways to holistically practice self-care as a way to maintain a positive body image, improve mood and reduce anxiety
More information to come: