“From the Inside, Out: Body Image to Gender Identity”
Thursday, October 18th – Saturday, October 20, 2018
Camp Wise – 13164 Taylor Wells Road, Chardon, OH 44024
The Diversity Center of Northeast Ohio’s Annual Fall High School Retreat is a unique three-day opportunity for students and educators of all backgrounds, throughout Northeast Ohio, to come together to explore topics of social justice and diversity.
This year’s theme “From the Inside, Out: Body Image to Gender Identity” will help students define who they are and what makes us all unique. Social development at this age can draw students to desire connections with those around them and to the world in which they live. At the same time, students are reflecting on their identity and how society defines the skin they are in. Through a number of activities, students will identify the influence of the media and societal norms on their views of self in the 21st Century. Topics on body image, sexuality, gender identity and ability all focus on self-identification and invite conversations that address expectations, bullying and social isolation.
Throughout the year educators will get to take a deeper look into or think critically about physical and mental well-being in their students.
- Examine the concepts of beauty and body image, specifically pertaining to the influence of the media
- Engage in open conversations on how to combat negative internal feelings surrounding body image influenced by the media
- Celebrate gender, body positivity and an appreciation for diversity in all sizes, shapes and presentations
- Define ableism and identify ways in which they can begin to value all abilities
- Describe ways to holistically practice self-care as a way to maintain a positive body image, improve mood and reduce anxiety
Please join us in our efforts to educate and impact the community.
More information on student and educator registration packets will be forthcoming, but you can still register your school by clicking the button below.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org