Middle School Conference
Wednesday, March 6, 2019
John Carroll University
Dolan Science Center – 1 John Carroll Blvd, University Heights, OH 44118
The Spring Middle School Conference brings together groups of students from schools all over Northeast Ohio. Schools are invited to bring up to 8 students and 2 educators. Once present students are separated into groups that offer them the opportunity to interact with students from other backgrounds, regions, and schools to participate in a series of small workshops on diversity. Additionally educators are also provided with diversity training and education in our special educator workshops that can be used in their schools and communities.
2018-2019 Theme: “From the Inside, Out: Body Image to Gender Identity”
At this year’s conference, students will explore the concept of beauty and its impact on their identity and development.
As time progresses so does society’s definition of beautiful, but are those constructs that we should all be judged upon? Throughout the conference workshops, students will examine those ideals — as well as their own — and discuss why we, as a community, are so influenced by other’s beauty standards.
Throughout the year educators will get to take a deeper look into or think critically about physical and mental well-being in their students.
- Examine the concepts of beauty and body image, specifically pertaining to the influence of the media
- Engage in open conversations on how to combat negative internal feelings surrounding body image influenced by the media
- Celebrate gender, body positivity and an appreciation for diversity in all sizes, shapes and presentations
- Define ableism and identify ways in which they can begin to value all abilities
- Describe ways to holistically practice self-care as a way to maintain a positive body image, improve mood and reduce anxiety